Monday 7 February 2011

Where do I start?

I want to write about my experiences in going about setting a business.  I'm excited, scared and on the occasion racked with doubt.  I must confess I'm not really sure what I'm doing or supposed to be doing. I did start off reading a lot of books but found I was getting weighed down by a lot of information.

Contradictions come into play. There is a lot of focus on reading, researching and planning however in reality when I read about real business people they just got an idea and jumped in the deep end. It was as time went on they formalised and rationalised their paths, plans and goals.

However because of how inexpensive information is and 'helping is such HUGE business today there is a focus on getting it right first time. But sometimes I think I need to make my own mistakes and learn my own lessons otherwise I'd be spending valuable time just reading and planning.

Why I am doing this?

I've come to a point in my life where I need to make a decision. I've not worked for a while now and the recession has adversely affected my industry. So why do this you may ask? Doesn’t it defeat the point? Well, yes and no. I can either continue to apply for work or try and start out on my own. It's the same difference and at least I won't feel like a piece of meat that's being graded each time.

I'm also still looking for work as I said before I'm just trying. I will confess I can be a living contradiction but who isn't? But this isn't fiction where everything is neatly packed and has plot line. It's real life.

The Business Plan
Well I was doing one till I discovered I didn’t really have a clue.  I’m a humble office worker. A nine to fiver, what do I know about crummy business plans?   I don’t want to get stuck in the planning stage.

Maybe it’s not for me- who cares that statement never stopped anyone and it’s not going to stop me. What I found with most of the examples I worked with is that most people had already dipped their toes in the pond that is done something similar. No one was really starting from fresh unless they were buying in a business like a shop or pub. I don’t know people. All I really got out of it was marketing. You need to market yourself and then cash flow. So customers and cash flow are epitome of the business world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The case of $95 million, Mel Tucker, Willy Bo-bo and inappropriate sexual conducts on the telephone.

Mel, Mel, Mel. It's tough. Mr Tucker. I discussed this case with someone and it's shame. It's a shame that it came to that. List...